Women’s hoops continues skid

By Justin Clear-Vekinis, News Correspondent

The women’s basketball team dropped two games on the road, despite having at least three scorers in double digits, sliding to 2-11 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

The Huskies traveled to Maryland Sunday to face the Towson University Tigers, but were topped 58-54. The Tigers came into the game having won their last two.
“It’s tough to figure out,” associate head coach Tom Blake said. “They made shots and we didn’t.”

The Tigers shot 45 percent from beyond the arc compared to the Huskies’ 36 percent.

The Huskies had four players in double digits, with junior guard Deanna Kerkhof leading with 16 points.

Senior guard Jamie Conroy followed with 11 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals.

The game was close throughout the Tigers stripped victory from the Huskies’ paws in the last few minutes.

The largest lead for Towson came just after halftime when the Tigers were on top by five. The Huskies managed to get ahead one time in the second half by one point, 51-50, with two minutes to play.

Northeastern allowed Towson to score the last 5 points of the game all from the charity line.

In the second half, the Huskies didn’t step up to the free throw line, though the Tigers did 19 times. Fortunately for the Huskies, they only managed to sink 11 shots.

“We were putting them on the foul line way too much,” senior guard Dani Iervolino said. “It’s been the same story all season, it’s something we need to work on for the remainder of this season.”

Freshman guard Genevieve Gaboriault also scored in the double digits, knocking down 10 points. Gaboriault has played in six games for the Huskies, averaging 4.7 points per game.

“Gen stepped up and made some shots,” Blake said. “We watched some clips of her shooting to help correct some mistakes beforehand and it helped.”

In Fairfax, Va., the Huskies fell 75-62 to the George Mason University Patriots last Thursday.

Two shooters set career-highs before leaving the Patriot Center. Sophomore forward Christine Huber led the Huskies with 21 points as part of her second career double-double, grabbing 10 boards.

“We were running our offense really well and it opened it up for Huber and I to score,” Iervolino said. “We had been working on our lanes and it enabled us to get our shots off.”
Iervolino managed to knock down a career-high 19 points, 15 of which came from beyond the arc.

“Dani didn’t shoot well the game before so she practiced extra shooting,” Blake said. “ [The practice] worked well through the game.”

Kerkhof notched 12 points on the scoreboard for the Huskies.

“Our biggest defense issue was not getting out to corners,” Iervolino said. “They had shooters get hot early.”

The Huskies were on top for most of the first half, but an 11-2 run for George Mason handed the Patriots a single point lead late in the first.

Despite numerous attempts by the Huskies to reduce the deficit, George Mason held on to its lead for the rest of the game.

The Patriots were led in scoring by Senior guard Taleia Moton, the nation’s 12th-leading scorer. Moton added 16 points.

The Huskies come home for two games starting at 7 p.m. tonight against the Georgia State Panthers, 1-12 CAA (7-17 overall) – whose only conference win was at the expense of the Huskies.

The Huskies host the James Madison University Dukes Sunday, who are currently sitting at No. 2 in the CAA, 10-3 (19-5 overall).