Under the Lights: Hillary Savoy

By Elizabeth Thomas, News Staff

(News Photo/Kevin Ahearn)

Women’s soccer junior midfielder and captain Hillary Savoy scored her first collegiate goal on Sunday in the Huskies’ second win of the season.

“It was a really good game for us, it was our breakout game for sure,” Savoy said.

The Huskies were on a three-game losing streak heading into Sunday’s game against the University of Albany, carrying a 2-5 non-conference record.

“Since our losing slump, we were just trying to figure out what wasn’t working,” she said. “We were playing well but we weren’t playing well finishing the game.”

As a third-year starter, Savoy knows scoring may not be very common for her having mostly played a defensive midfielder role, though she contributes other strengths.

“I am more of a high-intensity player; bringing our team up, making good tackles, winning headers and being that leader out there, that presence, more so than scoring. The goal was just funny for me because it just never happens.”

This Winchester native credits her strong family background for shaping her prolific leadership. Savoy, the youngest of three girls, played every sport imagined growing up.

“I played hockey, softball, I even swam,” Savoy said. “[My parents] just put me in everything once I could start to walk.”

Both of her older sisters are also collegiate athletes and competition continues to run deep in the Savoy household.

“We are all really competitive,” she said. “I like being the youngest because I have such a great support system that is not overbearing but very protective and I love it, that’s just how my family is. They are the ones you can hear cheering in games, all my family comes to the games.”

It’s her family connection that draws her home on the weekends when she isn’t hanging with friends.

“I would never be able to go too far from home,” she said. “I live 15 minutes away and go home on the weekends when I can, to hang out with my family.”

The nursing major has set two goals for herself this year: keep up her strong academic course load and something she can share with the team.

“I always try to just keep my GPA up,” Savoy said. “Never mind, a goal that would be a dream is to make it to the NCAA tournament.  That would be amazing before I graduate to make it to that.”

Savoy and the rest of the Huskies will be looking for another victory Friday against Colonial Athletic Association rivals Georgia State University. Game time is 6 p.m. at Parsons Field.