Tunstull nets game winner for women’s basketball

By Aren LeBrun, News Correspondent

Junior center Jewel Tunstull’s hook shot fell through the net with one second remaining to seal Northeastern’s 59-57 win over the Hofstra University Pride on Feb. 7 in Hempstead, N.Y. The Huskies (13-8, 6-4 CAA) have put together consecutive wins that came down to the final possession.

“After we had those tough games our focus was just get back on the winning track,” head coach Daynia La-Force said. “To put together a winning streak for the rest of the conference.”

It was a hard fought victory, as Northeastern didn’t hold a second-half lead until under six minutes to play in the contest. Sophomore guard A’lece Mark was one of three Huskies to score in double figures, netting a team-high 16 points. Senior tri-captain Deanna Kerkhof chipped in 14 points to go with seven rebounds. Junior center Jewel Tunstull scored 13 points, none bigger than her last second bucket to secure the lead and the win.

The Pride was led by senior forward Shante Evans’s 19 points and 16 rebounds, a game-high in both categories. Junior forward Anma Onyeuku recorded 18 points and nine boards for Hofstra. The Pride shot 47.3 percent from the floor in the game.

It was not a strong offensive performance by Northeastern, shooting just 32.4 percent. The win came in large part from their strong defensive play, forcing 29 turnovers and not allowing a single three-pointer (Hofstra attempted 10).

Hofstra struck first with a basket from Onyeuku off an offensive rebound. Evans then completed a three-point play to give the Pride an early 5-0 lead. Mark put the Huskies on the board by knocking down a pair of free throws.

Northeastern eventually evened the score later in the half off a runner from Mark. Sophomore guard Amencie Mercier gave the Huskies’ their first lead of the game with a three-pointer at the 6:05 mark. The Huskies hit a scoring drought after Mercier’s bucket, allowing Hofstra to put together a 6-2 run and take a 27-24 lead into the break.

The Huskies could not secure a lead again until 5:55 remaining in the second half, when senior guard Kashaia Cannon stroked a three to put Northeastern up, 42-41. Kerkhof hit another triple and Mark knocked down a jumper that made it a 49-47 game.

Out of the final media timeout, Mark hit Tunstull in the post, who converted a three-point play to stretch the Husky lead to five, the largest of the night. Evans and Onyeuku strung together consecutive baskets to take a one point lead. Another Cannon three put Northeastern up two, and then Onyeuku tied it at 55 apiece with just over a minute left in the game.

Kerkhof hit a pair of free throws with 42.7 seconds left to play, and senior guard Candace Bond responded in the paint for Hofstra to tie the game at 57-57.

On the Huskies’ final possession, Tunstull got possession of the ball, but Evans blocked her first shot. The junior managed to grab the rejection and softly toss in the game winner.

“With 14 seconds left, I knew we needed one shot, one good shot,” Tunstull said. “And even though I missed the first one, I worked hard to make the second shot off.”

The win marks the second straight victory for Northeastern that came down to the final possession, the first being a three-point victory over Towson University last Sunday. Blowout victories may be more comfortable, but La-Force feels these are the type of victories that really get her team ready for the conference tournament.

“Down the stretch in tight games, we are used to winning and we know how to win,” La-Force said. “Everyone’s ready to step up and I think that’s what makes us a great team.”

The Huskies’ road trip continues in games against the College of William & Mary and Old Dominion University this week. They return home to Solomon Court to face Georgia State University on Thursday, Feb. 21. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.