Letter: Corrado and Shaw have proven record of leadership

If you’re like me, you probably skim the headlines of the editorial page before quickly moving on to the Crime Log. So why should you listen to what I have to say about Student Body Elections? I have been a member of the Student Government Association (SGA) for the past four years, and on the Executive Board for two terms in the roles of Executive Vice President (EVP) and Vice President for Student Services. Therefore, I have an understanding of how SGA currently operates as well as what it takes to successfully serve the student body.

Based on my experiences both in and outside of SGA, I firmly believe that Mary Corrado and Zach Shaw are the best candidates to serve in these roles for the upcoming year.

One of the things that makes Northeastern great is that we all have unique and diverse passions. Corrado is particularly passionate about the area of sustainability, and has an appreciation of the fact that we all have things about which we are passionate. As a result, she wants to give every student the opportunity to share their passion with SGA, so that your Student Government Association can work on issues that you genuinely care about.

Corrado’s passion has led her to work extensively on the Renewable Energy Initiatives Board (REIB). This Board was first created during my term, and Corrado took over the position of chair the following year. Unfazed by the board’s underdeveloped nature, Corrado built up the REIB to the point where it successfully funded its first project: the brand new bike repair stand by West Village A. This kind of tangible accomplishment is something we can expect from an SGA led by Corrado next year.

Corrado’s work with the REIB demonstrates her abilities as a leader. She knows how to reach out to students to discover what they’re passionate about. She knows how to set realistic expectations for the Association. She knows how to communicate regularly with students, instead of making empty promises. She knows how to hold SGA accountable to you, the students. And she knows how to publicize the work that is done to ensure that everyone feels that the SGA truly represents them.

As Corrado’s opponent, Nick Naraghi, stated in the second presidential debate on Monday evening, many students “cannot name one thing SGA has done this year.” Nick’s statement perfectly expresses the breakdown in communication with the student body that has occurred in SGA this year. Unfortunately, that breakdown was on his watch. The Executive Vice President, a position both Nick and I have occupied, is directly responsible for ensuring that students can name SGA’s accomplishments so they know how SGA can help them in the future. Indeed, one of the only areas that SGA expanded its presence in this year was in the area of sustainability, thanks largely to Corrado’s work.

One of SGA’s most important duties is to advocate on behalf of all undergraduates to the university’s administration. Corrado understands the importance of advocacy, and has made it a priority to choose a running mate, Zach Shaw, who has experience advocating for students within a different area of SGA: Academic Affairs. Between the two of them, Corrado and Shaw bring extensive experience in the two focus areas that impact all of us. Whether you are involved on campus or not, we are all impacted by course registration, the library, academic advising, dining, public safety and printing. Corrado and Shaw have the experience and drive to advocate for you on these issues in an impactful way.

Corrado is running a campaign focused on the future, and we know based on her experience, she’ll have success. The same can’t be said of her opponent, Nick Naraghi. Nick campaigned for Executive Vice President last year under the promise of better “daily” communication to the student body. He didn’t deliver, as communication from SGA to the student body has actually significantly decreased over the past year. This year Nick is saying the same thing yet again. The question is: Why believe him? Nick has had an entire year to deliver on the promise of better communication, so why should we expect things to change if he’s given another year?

-Will Pett is a junior history and political science major, and former SGA executive vice president and vice president for student services.