Husky Sports 101: Where to cheer on NU athletics

By Jill Saftel, News Staff

Between freshmen donning red and black for the first time and seniors looking to spend their  last fall semester in the stands at Parsons Field, it’s never too early or too late to become a Husky fanatic. And if students are left scratching their heads wondering where you can find Parsons Field, they need not worry. From where to watch, how to get there and what to expect, it’s all here.

The Husky men’s and women’s soccer teams play right around the corner at Parsons Field in nearby Brookline. The field is a quick T ride on the D-line from Hynes to the Longwood stop. With some extra time, it’s easy to check out the neighborhoods around campus on your way to the field by walking up Huntington Avenue to Longwood Avenue. Better yet, shuttles run from Forsyth Street in front of Chicken Lou’s to the field starting an hour before game time. Parsons is equipped with a field house, restrooms and a shed where spectators can purchase snacks. The athletics department often puts on promotions featuring free food like barbecue and burgers, and everyone knows nothing calls to college students like free food.

The men’s soccer team is fresh off a Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) championship and a trip to the NCAA tournament. They’re undeniably the team to watch this fall if a national-caliber team peaks interest. Last year’s leading scorer Don Anding even signed with the Philadelphia Union of the MLS in the offseason.

Northeastern’s women’s soccer team is a perennial contender in the CAA playoffs, and with their speed and intensity, the players deliver a great way to spend a Thursday night or Sunday afternoon.

Another team making strides nationally is field hockey, and they’ve got a brand new field and facility to show for it. Located in Dedham at Northeastern’s track and field facility, the new Solomon Field will finally give the Huskies a permanent home. Because they’re required to play on AstroTurf, the Huskies were left without a home field when Wentworth’s Sweeney Field, where they had been playing, was converted to Fieldturf. The team played their home games at Boston College, Harvard University and the University of New Hampshire and still managed to cement a spot in the NCAA tournament for the second straight year. With a place to call their own and a true home field advantage, the only thing the team and their new field are missing are fans to christen it. Athletics will provide shuttles to Dedham for students who want to check out the new space and cheer on the field hockey team as their season gets underway.

Located right on campus, Cabot Center is home to Northeastern women’s volleyball. This team isn’t likely to disappoint on their home court, boasting a 20-game winning streak at home. They haven’t lost a game on Solomon Court since Sept. 30, 2011. Come November, Cabot is also home to the women’s basketball team.

And when it’s too tough to make it to a game, students can watch their teams online via GoNUxstream on the athletics website, goNU.com. It’s free to watch, and includes commentary and statistics. To find an online stream, students can visit goNU.com, select a team’s schedule and click “video” on the day’s game.

When the weather cools down, it will be time for Matthews Arena to fill as men’s basketball and both men’s and women’s hockey start their 2013-14 efforts in the historic arena. Students rally together in the “Dog House,” the balcony level of the arena, for all the action.

But for now, hockey and basketball seasons are months away. With fall sports getting into full swing, students should throw on their Husky gear and get to a game. Whether it’s soccer at Parsons Field or volleyball at Cabot, there’s never a bad time to display Northeastern pride in red and black.