Men’s soccer earns first place in CAA

By Chris Judd & Jake Fischer, News Staff

The Northeastern men’s soccer team registered an undefeated week, tying Drexel University 0-0 on Saturday and beating the University of Delaware 2-0 on Wednesday to remain unbeaten in conference play and earn sole possession of first place in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) standings. The Huskies (6-4-3) are now 3-0-1 in CAA play with four games remaining before the conference tournament.

In Philadelphia, the Huskies outshot Drexel 17-14, but could not find the back of the net.

Senior forward Conner Alexander led all players with five shots. He had multiple headers near the goal, despite the scoreless final. Senior midfielder Dante Marini and sophomore Terence Carter had four shots apiece .

Marini nearly put the Huskies on the board 16 minutes into the match, but shot the ball over the crossbar. The Huskies had another chance two minutes later when junior Ambry Moss passed the ball to Carter on the left sideline. Carter then tried to send the ball into the box, but was blocked.

The Huskies outshot Drexel 3-2 in overtime, but could not get the win.

Sophomore goalie Dylan Faber made five saves for the shutout.

“I thought about how I’ve gotten here, and it’s because of the team,” Faber said. “The goalie gets the credit for a shutout, but the defense plays a big part in making the goalie look good. I credit the rest of the team and am thankful for them.”

Faber knew the defense and entire team would need to play terrific soccer Wednesday against Delaware, who entered the match undefeated in the CAA and tied with  Northeastern in first place.

“We have to be ready to go and come out there with energy,” Faber said. “We’ve had some rough games at home, so we have to re-establish the energy. Getting that first goal is important and we have to keep going from there.”

The Huskies brought offensive pressure early and often back at Parsons Field and burst out to a 2-0 lead before the teams broke for intermission. Matt Callahan sent a cross from 36 yards out into the box for a streaking Connor Alexander in the 16th minute. Alexander was tripped up and drew a penalty kick. Coach Brian Ainscough made the call and Marini was able to boot the ball past Delaware’s goalkeeper Borja Barbero to give Northeastern their first score.

“As long as the ball goes in the net and we win the game, I don’t care who gets the goal,” Alexander said. “Stats don’t matter.”

Alexander is one of the players called upon to forge the Huskies out of the scoring rut entering CAA play.

“I’m not used to being a forward,” he said of his new position. “So I’m just up there to flick the ball to our scorers and let them get up into the box and score.”

Alexander brought consistent pressure as did Christian McKenna, who scored his first collegiate goal five minutes later. McKenna charged the goalie after Callahan sent the ball toward net for an easy goal.

Things got chippy in the second half, as Blue Hens players, especially leading scorer Guillermo Delgado, grew visibly frustrated. Delaware struggled with Northeastern’s back four, who surrendered four shots on goal out of the Hen’s 11 shots.

The Huskies nursed their two-goal lead through stoppage time, as Faber his third-straight shutout. For his dominant efforts in goal, Faber, who totaled seven saves on Wednesday, was named CAA Player of the Week on Monday. He was ranked second in the CAA in both goals against average and save percentage, entering the battle for first place on Wednesday.

The Huskies will look to remain unbeaten in the CAA Saturday when they travel to Williamsburg, Va., to take on the College of William & Mary.