Women’s basketball back on the court after groundbreaking 2012-13 season

By Aren LeBrun, News Correspondent

Following its most successful campaign since joining the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) in 2005, the Northeastern women’s basketball team is looking to continue the positive momentum from a season in which they posted their first winning record in 13 years.

“Last year was a great year for our team,” head coach Daynia La-Force, who was awarded the CAA Coach of the Year award last season, said. “It made the girls come back and work extra hard and be more focused.”

The Huskies, who return three starters from last year’s squad, were predicted to finish third in the 2013 CAA preseason coaches poll after collecting a 17-13 (10-8 CAA) record last year. Northeastern was placed below only James Madison University and Drexel University, marking the highest preseason ranking the team has earned during the La-Force era.

“We have great team chemistry, we have crafted a great offensive product,” La-Force said. “On the other end, we were second in the league in steals. We have branded ourselves as a very good defensive program.”

Though the team will miss high scoring senior guards Deanna Kerkhof and Kashaia Cannon, the Huskies return two preseason all-conference selections. Senior center Jewel Tunstull was named to the Preseason All-CAA First Team after leading the Huskies in rebounding (8.7 per game) and posted the highest field goal percentage (56.4) in the league for the second straight season. The quickness and footwork that the 6-foot-3-inch Tunstull displays for her height are intangibles that set her apart from other centers in the league.

“I feel like as a senior, I have so much responsibility for this season to keep rebounding and keep scoring for my teammates,” Tunstull said. “I’ve been working on staying mentally focused.”

Joining Tunstull in All-CAA honors is junior captain A’lece Mark. The talented shooting guard finished third in the conference in both assists per game (3.6) and steals per game (1.9). Her quickness and finishing ability will be instrumental in increasing free throw totals, one of the team’s biggest goals for the season.

“I take total responsibility and I put a lot of pressure on myself,” Mark said. “I think as a leader the girls look to me to always show up, to always lead by example and do the right things.”

The dynamic inside-out combo of Tunstull and Mark will be supported this season by a deep roster of returning players. Among these returners is co-captain junior guard Amencie Mercier, who will look to continue her solid shooting and playmaking from last season. Mercier finished second on the team in assists per game (3.3) and fifth in scoring per game (5.5) in 2012-13.

“Amencie is such a big part of this team,” said Mark of her backcourt partner. “She is the one who holds us together. She is the glue.”

Another key returner will be sophomore forward Samantha DeFreese. The 6-foot New Jersey native had some big moments for the Huskies last season, including a 15-point, five-rebound effort in a win against UNCW.

Despite the historic success of last season, Northeastern was handed a disappointing early exit from the playoffs at the hands of Hofstra University. Coach La-Force knows her team is considered to be a CAA contender, and expects them to play like it.

“We want to make a postseason tournament, the NIT, or hopefully the NCAA,” La-Force said. “This year we have a chance to accomplish that. It’s the right time for our team to make the postseason.”

Mark and her teammates echoed that sentiment. Focus and motivation is at an all-time high during the last week of season preparation.

“We don’t ever want to feel that again,” Mark said, regarding the quarterfinal loss. “We’re hoping for it to be different. We’re hoping to be celebrating at the end of the CAA tournament with a championship.”

The Huskies look to open their season with a win over Boston University. The latest chapter in the historic rivalry will be decided Friday, Nov. 8 on Solomon Court. Tipoff is at 6 p.m.