Women’s soccer team beats UNH

Women%E2%80%99s+soccer+team+beats+UNH+

By Jessica Geller, Deputy Sports Editor

Northeastern’s women’s soccer returned above .500 after beating University of New Hampshire 1-0 Sunday at Parsons Field. Thursday, the Huskies tied at Providence College, 0-0.

Senior goalie Paige Burnett was on top of her game Thursday as she held the opponent to no goals for the 16th time. The Huskies defense did its job as Burnett only needed to make one save. Providence’s other 12 shots did not come close enough for a Burnett to attempt a save.

“My back line is really doing a great job in making my job easier,” Burnett said. “At this point last season, we were giving up 10 shots per game. Now we are giving up one which is a testament to our back line.”

Compared to last season, the difference in shots allowed on goal is striking. It took time for the defense to learn to work together, but Burnett believes they are now playing as a unit. Northeastern has shut out its opponents in three of the four matches. No goals have been given up in regulation.

Northeastern’s offense kept its opponent busy with 21 shots on goal. Freshman forward Kayla Cappuzzo attempted a quarter of the team’s shots and continues to prove that freshmen can be an asset.

“Kayla is an awesome player,” head coach Tracey Leone said. “She’s fit as can be, works incredibly hard and is so skillful and dangerous. I just keep saying, ‘Thank God she’s on our team.’”

Leone knows Cappuzzo will be a force to be reckoned with throughout the league.

“She draws a lot of attention and, as a young player, it’s really impressive to see her carry that. Every team we play is going to know about Kayla Cappuzzo,” Leone said.

On Sunday, Northeastern made it on the scoreboard almost immediately. In the second minute, sophomore midfielder Kimberly Slade knocked in her first collegiate goal, assisted by senior forward Lahaina Zoller.

“I’m so glad to score, not just for me but for my team,” Slade said. “I just happened to put it away in the right spot.”

Slade is part of the starting 11 this season. The 2014 tri-captains are seniors Maria Lanyi, midfielder, and Amy Steele, defender, and sophomore Carina Deandreis, midfielder.

“Last year, I was coming off [a leg injury before college] so I really just wasn’t ready mentally, physically. This year is a totally different year,” Slade said.

2014 is also a different year in terms of strategizing, including a new idea called “Big 5” goals. The team aims to score in the first and last five minutes of each half, not allowing any goals in the first and last five minutes, and score right after a goal when the opponent isn’t set yet. Leone’s idea is working as two Big 5 goals have been scored without letting in any goals in the first and last five minutes of a half.

With the added concentration comes less stress.

“We haven’t found ourself behind the eight ball like we did last year so often and having to fight back into the game. We’ve been able to score first and create a lot of chances to get an early goal,” Leone said.

Sunday, Cappuzzo led Northeastern’s shots on goal for the second straight game with seven shots. She continues to stay with the action, not giving up until the last second.

Fellow freshmen Carly Wilhelm and Hannah Lopiccolo also had chances to earn their first points but were denied by goalkeeper Mimi Borkan’s 14 saves.

Northeastern’s 26 shots to UNH’s four reveal a unified team that can pass the ball and develop plays.

“Our entire team works really well together. I think we gel this year and it’s going to be a great season,” Slade said.

Photo by Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics