Letter: Student body president endorses Suchira Sharma

I have admired Suchira Sharma since the first day I met her. When Suchira joined student government, she arrived in the Senate with a desire to make a profound difference on this campus. In the two years I’ve had the privilege of working with her, she has done exactly that.

Suchira has earned the respect of all in student government. She is a powerful leader, known as much for her efficacy as her empathy. She knows what it takes to fight for the interests of Northeastern students and win.

Her running mate, Paulina Ruiz, is a fierce student advocate with a track record of improving the services we all depend on. Like Suchira, Paulina believes in government that puts the needs of students first.

Today, I am happy to endorse Suchira and Paulina to be the next president and vice president of Northeastern’s Student Government Association (SGA).

Suchira’s accomplishments speak for themselves. In her roles as a senator, chief of staff and vice president, she has forever changed student government at Northeastern. She has led successful efforts to make SGA more engaging and inclusive, pioneered new forums for students to have their questions answered by administrators and improved the way student government communicates with the student body.

This year is a historic election for SGA. Ten years have passed since Northeastern’s last female student body president. We have never elected a female president and vice president at the same time. We are long overdue.

A vote for Suchira is a vote for a tireless advocate and a bold leader. I’m proud to have served alongside her for the last two years in student government. I believe in Suchira. I’m honored to endorse her to be our next student body president.

– Elliot Horen is a junior information science and business administration major and current student body president.

Photo courtesy SGA