Even after setbacks, Men, Women ‘ Children rock on

By Kwame Kor Kor

Men, Women ‘ Children guitarist Todd Weinstock said the show in afterHOURS served as a much-needed distraction from their recent troubles, when the band’s trailer, tour van and equipment, valued at over $100,000, were stolen at a Detroit tour stop, Oct. 23.

“I thought [the show] was pretty good, despite everything that’s happened,” he said.

The band headlined the first of Northeastern’s Music and Entertainment Industry Student Association’s (MEISA) bimonthly live shows in afterHOURS, dubbed “Meisa Live,” Friday night, with additional performances from the Deviations and Awful Waffle.

Men, Women ‘ Children just finished a stint on the MTV2 $2 Bill Tour, and the band members said they were excited about the intimacy of playing in a smaller college venue like afterHOURS, a break from the packed clubs and convention centers around the country.

Relying heavily on their electric, synthesizer-driven sound as well as a strong rhythm section, Men, Women ‘ Children’s performance resembled a raging dance party straight from “Saturday Night Fever.” They also interacted with the crowd during many of their songs.

“I love their music because it’s funky, eclectic and feel-good,” said sophomore international business major Lindsay Massau.

Opening band, the Deviations, kicked off the night with rousing rock songs reminiscent of ’70s punk and hard rock. Guitarist Nathan Perilli said he was happy with the crowd turnout and encouraged the audience to follow the band to its other shows around the city.

“I had a lot of fun playing,” he said. “And we’re playing a lot of shows in the Boston area.”

Next onstage was Awful Waffle, a nine-piece power pop and ska band hailing from Brick, N.J.

With song topics ranging from car repair shops to spontaneous sexual encounters, the band whose r