Nonprofit aids sick rockers

By Kathryn Morcone

No one likes buying tickets to see their favorite band in concert,only to have the show cancelled because a band member got sick.

Kristina Grossmann, a senior music industry major, is working to combat this problem. She spent a summer working on the Vans Warped Tour as a merchandise seller for the band Bayside, and learned about the healthcare situation in the music industry.

“I was surprised to find out that no one gives musicians adequate healthcare,” Grossmann said.

Because of the large risk factors, Grossmann said health insurance companies are wary to grant sufficient protection to touring musicians.

When she enrolled in professor Richard Strasser’s music entrepreneurship class this semester, she was inspired to do something about the problem.

“The goal of the course is the creation of nascent music enterprises,” Strasser said. “Students are not expected to create ‘fantasy’ companies, but ones that can function in the music industry.”

Drawing on the knowledge she gained in class and on tour, Grossmann created a nonprofit organization called “Rock For Health.”

“The mission of Rock For Health is to make available quality health care to touring musicians over the age of 18, who lack basic healthcare because of the risk involved in the touring industry, by providing access to affordable and effective health care services,” Grossmann said.

The touring industry often puts musicians in situations that jeopardize their health. Lengthy performances put strain on the vocal chords and constantly lugging heavy sound equipment around eventually takes its toll on their muscles.

“As of right now, we’re trying to form partnerships with other healthcare companies,” Grossmann said.

One such company is Medilinq. Medilinq’s health benefits plan will include a monthly fee of $39.99 and will cover a total of 15 members of the band and/or crew. Furthermore, members will save up to 40 percent on medical visits and procedures, up to 60 percent on generic prescription drugs and up to 25 percent on branded drugs.

“Although Medilinq is not insurance, the monthly membership fee gives the band access to low rates, often comparable to those that health insurance companies pay for doctors, medication and alternative care,” Grossmann said.

Current fundraising plans for Rock For Health include the sale of T-shirts to both fans and musicians. The funds generated will be used to help pay for some musicians’ medical expenses, and to foster ties with health insurance companies by paying premiums.

“The unique part about my company is that fans can see their favorite band wearing a Rock For Health shirt on stage, buy the shirt and know that the money they spent helped their favorite artist stay healthy,” Grossmann said.

The organization has gained several fans since its recent development.

“As someone who loves music, and especially live music, I would want my favorite artists to have the security of a health plan or at least the ability to afford one,” said Christopher Celentano, a sophomore music industry major.

Grossmann has met with Kevin Lyman, the creator of the Vans Warped Tour, and Rock For Health will have a booth at Warped Tour 2008 where they will be able to reach out to the musicians on the tour.

Grossmann has also met with Madison House, Virgin Records and Universal to discuss the labels’ possibly offering the plan to artists.

“This is a huge breakthrough for my company and I could not be happier,” Grossmann said. “When it all comes down to it, record labels exist because of the musicians. They give their employees health insurance, so why not give the people who get them the most money health insurance also?”

Grossmann and Rock For Health’s Vice President Jasmine Hagans, also a senior music industry major, will tour with The Dresden Dolls for five days after Christmas to sell merchandise and spread the word about Rock For Health.

“The project is a true integration of study in the classroom and real-world experience that goes well beyond the confines of the campus,” Strasser said.

For more information, or to make a donation, students can visit Rock For Health on Facebook, on MySpace at www.myspace.com/rockforhealth or e-mail [email protected].