Boston dogs gather in Downtown Crossing for annual Howl-o-ween costume paw-rade

Jessica Xing
A family and its corgi run down Summer Street in “Harry Potter” costumes. Many families wore matching costumes with their dogs.

Furry four-legged friends and their owners strutted down Summer Street in their best costumes Oct. 28 for the ninth annual Doggone Halloween Pet Parade.

Presented by the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, the event was a hit for humans and canines alike. A reserved area in Downtown Crossing featured dog-themed vendors, a photo setup, caricature artists and a DJ. While many attendees brought their own dogs, others showed up just to offer pets and attention. Dog lovers and family members alike all found something to enjoy on the sunny Saturday afternoon.

Dressed as miscellaneous food, movie characters and more, dogs of all sizes and breeds wagged their tails in excitement as they roamed the area. Owners talked to vendors at various pet-themed booths while their companions sniffed out merchandise and jumped for free treats.

About an hour into the event, parade participants started lining up while spectators cleared a path. The crowd grew as passersby were drawn in by the buzz and barks. One by one, owners walked their dogs down the street to the sound of cheers and camera shutters from the audience-turned-pup-arazzi.

Many owners and families wore matching costumes with their dogs, such as identical tropical shirts or Starbucks barista aprons. Some family costumes, such as “Ghostbusters” and “Barbie”- themed outfits, were handmade and took weeks to prepare.

Following the parade, the host introduced each dog by name to the judges and described their costumes. Hundreds sat in the audience smiling and laughing as families shared anecdotes about their dogs’ personalities and quirks.

Judges declared winners in five categories: Best Costume, Scariest Costume, Cutest Costume, Best Dog & Human Duo and Best Dog & Child Duo. Triumphant families posed for more photos and were rewarded with gift cards. 

Along with promoting a sense of community, the event aimed to raise funds for the Animal Rescue League of Boston, or ARL. Attendees were encouraged to make donations throughout the day, with representatives from the organization talking to anyone interested in more information. With an increasing need to keep pets out of already overcrowded shelters, the parade offered organizations like the ARL the perfect opportunity to educate more people on the situation and gain more support.

Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.