Column: 6 activities to get you in the holiday spirit

Jessica Xing
Children and adults watch the performances at the Faneuil Hall tree lighting Nov. 21.

As the familiar chill of winter descends upon Boston, there is no better time for college students to explore the city and embrace the quickly approaching season. For students searching for ways to experience some holiday magic, Boston luckily offers no shortage of winter activities suitable to all tastes. 

Whether it’s sitting in a cozy cafe sipping on a gourmet hot chocolate, gliding across a sparkling ice rink or perusing a quaint holiday market, Boston has it all. Grab all the layers and friends you can find to enjoy these memorable and entertaining activities.

Ice skating on the Boston Common Frog Pond

Nestled in the heart of the city, this ice rink in the Boston Common is only a quick T ride away from campus — and the perfect activity for a cold day. With twinkling lights, the city skyline and friends flailing around on this open-air ice rink, what more is there to ask for? Admission for this activity is $10 plus an additional $15 if you need to rent skates.  

This quintessential New England activity attracts people from all over the city, so prepare for quite a few skaters to be occupying the rink. If the rink becomes a little too crowded for your liking, or you’ve weathered enough bumps from inevitable skating slips, stop by the Frog Pond Café near the rink to grab a warm holiday drink to sip while you explore the park.

Sip gourmet hot chocolate

What better holiday drink to enjoy on a cold winter day than a steaming cup of hot cocoa? Hot chocolate is a staple seasonal drink — in Boston, they don’t mess around. Well-known in the Boston area for its top-tier, artisanal chocolates, pastries and hot chocolate, L.A. Burdick, located in Back Bay at 220 Clarendon St., is one of the best cafes around offering this festive drink. This liquid cheer is $5.75 for a small size and $7 for a large size. Name a better way to spend an afternoon than sipping world-famous gourmet hot chocolate and shopping around Newbury Street with some friends — it isn’t possible!

Visit the Snowport Winter Market in Seaport

Wandering around a winter wonderland overflowing with holiday ambiance is one of the best ways to get into the holiday spirit. Decorated with twinkling lights and stalls bursting with handcrafted and locally made gifts, this holiday market is sure to put even Ebenezer Scrooge in a festive mood. Each vendor sells something unique, perfect for finding stocking stuffers or gifts for the whole family. 

There is also an entire section dedicated to food, filled with trucks and various vendors selling everything from hot cider and donuts to crepes and pizza. The market can be crowded at times, so to avoid the lines, try going during the day or on a weeknight. Snowport is open from 3-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, and 11-8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 

Attend a tree-lighting

Nothing gets someone in the holiday spirit quite like watching a dazzling Christmas tree light up for the first time. These tree lightings always have plenty of caroling, hot beverages and Christmas cheer. 

Though the major tree lightings have already happened, there are several others on the way, including the tree lighting on the USS Constitution, which is the world’s oldest commissioned naval warship in the country. The tree lighting will take place Dec. 8 starting at 6 p.m., and will have gingerbread cookies and an appearance from Santa Claus. 

Dine in an igloo

When you feel like enjoying a nice meal or grabbing a drink with friends at the end of the day, consider going to a restaurant or bar with igloo seating. This novelty experience allows patrons to sit outside and enjoy views of Boston, with an igloo shielding them from the brisk winter wind in a cozy and intimate setting. This innovative dinner trend has become popular in recent years, with many restaurants incorporating igloos into their dining experiences.

For those looking to try out this snow globe-like experience, Lookout Rooftop at the Envoy Hotel, Woods Hill at Pier 4 in Seaport, Talulla in Cambridge and 75 on Liberty Wharf in Seaport all offer this unique form of dining. Some of these igloos have food and drink minimums, so make sure to check that out beforehand. 

Attend First Night in Boston

If you happen to be in Boston for New Year’s Eve and are looking for a fun way to close out the holiday season, definitely look into First Night. This huge end-of-year celebration includes performances, parades, great food, fun drinks, ice sculptures and fireworks. The festivities span the whole city — and they are all free, making them perfect for that “broke college student” lifestyle.

Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.
Darin Zullo
Darin Zullo, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
Darin Zullo is a second-year journalism and English combined major with a minor in photojournalism. This is his second semester as a deputy photo editor for The News. He has also written for the Global Observer and the Scope and is looking forward to continue working with The News this semester.