Player of the Week: Casey Pickett

Casey Pickett, women's hockey

By Mike Brown, News Correspondent

Heading into Saturday’s 4-0 win over Yale University, women’s hockey sophomore forward Casey Pickett had only one goal through 10 games this season.

Pickett, who scored 10 goals last season, broke out with two against Yale. Her play has earned her Huntington News Player of the Week honors.

“She’s used to scoring and wasn’t, so it was good to see her get a couple goals,” head coach Dave Flint said. “Hopefully that’ll get her on a roll.”

Pickett said she was relieved to end her scoring drought, but is still trying to get better.

“I got off to a slow start on the season,” she said. “I set such high standards; no matter what I’m looking to improve.”

The Wilmington native made a good impression last year as a freshman, with 10 goals and seven assists. One of her goals came at Sun Life Frozen Fenway, the outdoor game played at Fenway Park, where the Huskies lost to the University of New Hampshire 5-3 Jan. 8.

“That was awesome,” Pickett said. “My whole family and all my friends were there, and I grew up here, so it was really awesome.”

Pickett played high school hockey at St. Mark’s School in Southborough and twice led the Independent School League in scoring.

Pickett said the hardest part of the transition to college hockey was adjusting to the speed of other players.

“In [high school] there was time to do whatever with the puck,” she said.

Pickett, who grew up in a family of hockey players, didn’t take long to pick up the sport. When she was four, a roster spot opened up on her older brother’s team and she’s been playing ever since.
Pickett is quick to downplay her personal accomplishments and experiences.

“I’ve been playing for so long [that] everything I do with my team I take pride in,” she said.

Pickett is one of eight sophomores on the team, and Flint said he has been impressed with how she and her fellow sophomores have grown as players.

“Some of our freshmen from last year are maturing,” Flint said. “Offensively they’re starting to grasp what we’re trying to do.”

The Huskies ran their record to 7-2-2, in large part thanks to increased scoring. Last year, the team scored 2.36 goals-per-game, while so far this season they have scored 3.1 goals-per-game. Pickett said she thinks the strong start to the season is because of teamwork and determination.

“We’re all really driven and want to do better than last year,” she said.

Pickett said she plans to major in English with hopes of being a high school English teacher. She said she loves playing Rock Band and watching Dexter with her roommates, as well as going home.

The Huskies play two games at Maine this weekend. Pickett had a two-assist game against the Black Bears last season in a 5-1 win at Matthews Arena.