Women’s Hockey: Llanes scores two for NU

News Staff Photo/Dan McCarthy
News Staff Photo/Dan McCarthy

By: Amanda Devaney, News Correspondent

The women’s hockey team defeated the University of New Hampshire Wildcats 4-0 on the road last night, extending its winning streak to three games. After scoreless first and second periods on both ends, Northeastern turned it on and scored all four of their points in the last period of the game.

“It was a pretty exciting game from start to finish,” head coach Dave Flint said. “It was a tight game in the first period and by the third period, there were some really nice goals.”

Sophomore forward Rachel Llanes’ nomination for star of the game derived from her two goals against the Wildcats. Junior goaltender Florence Schelling was also named star of the game, after making a total of 22 saves and helping her team take the win.

Along with Llanes, senior defenseman Julia Marty and freshman forward Katie MacSorley each launched one past the Wildcats’ goaltender Lindsey Minton. MacSorely scored her team-leading 11th goal of the season.

Flint said he was impressed by Marty’s goal, as well as his team’s offensive explosiveness.

“Marty had a great goal under the cross bar,” Flint said. “We opened things up pretty quick; it was a good effort.”

Schelling put together another strong performance for the Huskies Sunday, making 20 saves and recording her eighth win of this season in a 2-1 victory over Brown.

Marty said the team’s lack of penalties helped the Huskies take their second straight win.

“Overall, there weren’t a lot of penalties” Marty said. “We only had one power play; we did a good job of staying out of the penalty box.”

Llanes and sophomore forward Siena Falino contributed to the Huskies’ win, scoring the only two goals that brought their team ahead of Brown. After a scoreless first period, the Huskies’ lit up the scoreboard in the second period.

Llanes scored her sixth goal of the season 8:28 into the second stanza, after sophomore forward Casey Pickett dished her a pass. Llanes streaked up the ice and buried the shot.

Falino added some insurance in the final period, scoring her third goal of the season. Freshman defenseman Sonia St. Martin recorded her first career collegiate point, when she provided the assist.

“Honestly, it was pretty funny because there’s many times where I make nice passes and we score, but this was a complete fluke,” St. Martin said. “I hit the puck off the glass, it hit a bar, and ended up in the middle of the ice where Falino just picked it up and shot and scored.”

In the final period, the Bears launched a goal that would have tied the game 2-2, but the goal was dismissed and they were incapable of tying it after that point.

Northeastern will visit its cross-town rival, the Boston University Terriers, Dec. 7.