Player of the Week: Rachel Llanes

By: Mike Brown, News Correspondent

Since returning from winter break, women’s hockey forward Siena Falino has been an offensive spark for the Huskies.

“She’s been phenomenal,” head coach Dave Flint said. “She’s been our most consistent forward since the break.”
Falino registered a four-game point streak after the break, including a goal and an assist in Saturday’s 3-2 win over Maine at Matthews Arena. Her efforts earned her Huntington News Player of the Week honors.
“It’s a new [calendar] year,” Falino said. “We had a little break away from the team, which was good.”
After her point streak, Falino is tied for third on the team with 12 points – with five goals and seven assists on the season. She has been a big part of the Huskies’ success this season, as the team now sits at 13-6-4.
Falino, who is from Centerport, N.Y., is one of eight sophomores on the Huskies, who also have eight freshmen. Flint said he has been impressed with the play of the younger players on the team.
“I think some of them have that confidence,” Flint said. “We’re a young team and they know we rely on them.”
Falino feels her confidence has increased since her freshman season, where she didn’t score a goal and had five assists.
“I think as a freshman it was hard because it was a big class,” Falino said. “I had to realize where I fit.”

Besides having to adjust to college life, Falino also had to deal with the difficult transition from high school to Division I hockey, which she describes as “faster and more physical.”

She graduated from the Portledge School in New York, where she was two-time captain and two-time MVP of the girls’ varsity hockey team. The team won a state title her senior year.

This season, Falino and the Huskies will try to improve upon last year’s finish, when they lost to Connecticut in the quarterfinals of the Hockey East playoffs.
“Everyone is chipping in,” Falino said. “We’re figuring it out together – it’s a collaborative effort.”
Falino, an art major, would like to go into a career in architecture. Off the ice, she enjoys hanging out with her teammates.

“We like to go out to have a good meal in the North End,” she said. “There’s a lot of friendships [on the team]. We’re happy to be together on and off the ice. We’re all friends.”

Both Falino and Flint, who is now in his third year as women’s hockey head coach, are optimistic about the remainder of the season.
“We need to be focused, not let little battles get to us, stay together and keep the positive energy going forward,” Falino said.

“We’re not quite where I want them to be, but we’re getting there,” Flint said.  “We’ve laid a good foundation.”