Huskies come-from-behind against UConn

By Madeline Sattler, News Correspondent 

Saturday afternoon was the ultimate Husky-Husky showdown, as United State college Hockey Organization No. 7 Northeastern University welcomed the University of Connecticut to Matthews Arena. Northeastern was victorious over their namesake Huskies, 3-2, completing the season sweep and improving to an 18-6-3 record on the season.

Despite being down early, Northeastern pulled off the come-from-behind-win. The home team was down 2-0, but managed to score three unanswered goals, including one by Hockey East’s leading scorer freshman forward Kendall Coyne to seal the win.

“They gutted it out and ultimately got the win,” head coach David Flint said.

Connecticut came off the bench as fast as the game began. Northeastern’s senior goalie Florence Schelling was frequently tested as Connecticut came up with 11 shots in the first period.

Coyne went to the penalty box for body checking, giving UConn the game’s first power play. During the power play, there was a scramble in front of the cage, but Schelling ultimately came up with the puck and saved what would have been a goal for Connecticut.

With one minute remaining in the first period, Connecticut’s Emily Snodgrass, a freshman forward, snuck a shot by Schelling. Coyne took a second trip to the penalty box for cross checking, allowing UConn to take advantage of the man-up opportunity. Snodgrass was assisted by junior forward Casey Knajdek for the a power play goal allowed by the then-No.1 penalty kill unit.

“They had the first goal and I think they took that momentum,” Coyne said.

The second period began strong for Connecticut. The out-of-state Huskies came out shooting. Schelling made what appeared to be an save off the stick of Connecticut freshman forward Rachel Farrel. Schelling ended up on her backside in the goal and the referees acknowledged it was a save, but the call was reversed after the officials took a second look, giving Farrel her third goal of the season.

“They were out working us and next thing you know we’re down two nothing,” Flint said.

Northeastern finally got on the board later in the period. At 12:25 into the second period, Connecticut forward junior Kelly Horan was sent to the penalty box for body checking. Junior forward Siena Falina took advantage of the opportunity and scored her third goal of the season. The puck just slipped under Connecticut sophomore goalie Nicole Paniccia.

“Once we got the first goal, we got rolling,” junior forward Rachel Llanes said.

Just a mere one minute and eight seconds after their first goal, Northeastern tied up the game. Llanes put the puck in the back of the net for the ninth time this season.

“It was a great team effort,” Llanes said. “My line did really well today.”

Northeastern came out hungry as the third period began forcing Paniccia to make save after save. She recorded 43 total stops and 17 in the third period. Paniccia has a .934 save percentage on the season. She is second in the Women’s Hockey East Association to Schelling who holds a .945.

As time winded down, the game remained tied and Paniccia was a brick wall. For the second time in the past three games, the result of the game was determined in the last five minutes of play. Last Saturday at Boston University, the Huskies lost in the final seconds, but the outcome of this game was in favor of the Huskies.

With 4:30 left in play, freshman forward Colleen Murphy sent a pass across the ice to Coyne. Coyne sped towards the goal and pushed the puck underneath the legs of Paniccia, giving the home team Huskies the lead which they held on to for the final minutes of the game.

“It was a great way to finish a game and it shows that we’re a strong team right now,” Llanes said.”

Coyne also noted that it felt good to score the winning goal, but that didn’t really matter as much as winning the game.
“Now we can focus on BU,” Flint said.

Northeastern will take on the Boston University Terriers Tuesday night in the Beanpot championship game. Northeastern leads Beanpot participants in titles with 14, as the Huskies look to bring home their first since 1998.

“I think we’ll come out flying in Beanpot and take this momentum with us and hopefully we win,” Llanes said.