Five Huskies recognized with postseason awards

News Staff Photo/ Dan Pagliaroli

By Madeline Sattler, News Correspondent

The ice has melted at Matthews and the women’s hockey team stopped playing a few weeks ago, but the Huskies are still being recognized with postseason awards.

Four players – senior defender Stephanie Gavronsky, junior forward Casey Pickett, freshman forward Kendall Coyne and senior goalkeeper Florence Schelling – were named All-New England Division I All-Stars by the New England Hockey Writers Association Tuesday in addition to coach Dave Flint being named New England Division I Coach of the Year.

Gavronsky was the lone defensive representative on the All-Star team. The Alberta native notched a career high in goals, assist and points this season (6-9-15). Gavronsky was first among defenders in the Women’s Hockey East Association (WHEA) for the lowest goals-against ratio.

“We are proud of all our players who were named to the New England All-Star team,” Flint said. “I was a bit surprised that we had so many players named to the team considering how many great players there are in New England.”

Pickett was also selected to the All-Star team. Pickett’s 23 assists put her third in WHEA and her 41 total points scored were fourth-best in the league. She also scored the game-winning goal during overtime in the Beanpot Championship game against the Boston University Terriers. After the game, Pickett was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

Coyne began her Northeastern career with a breakout season. She led the Huskies and all WHEA rookies in points scored with 45. Her 26 goals scored were second in Hockey East. Coyne also came up big in the clutch with a WHEA-leading seven game-winning goals.

“I couldn’t have [had this season] without the support of my family friends, the coaching staff and my teammates,” Coyne said.

Last week, Coyne was recognized as the United States College Hockey Online (USCHO) Rookie of the Year, a distinction awarded to the nation’s best college rookie. Coyne edged out Cornell’s forward Jillian Saulnier for the title.

“I was really shocked and didn’t know what to say,” Coyne said. “The other candidates are very good players, so the ball was in anyone’s court.”

Schelling was the final Husky named to the All-Star team and was also selected as New England Player of the Year. In her final season for Northeastern, Schelling led the nation with a .950 save percentage. Her 1.42 goals against average was second in the country and first in the WHEA.

“Florence was very deserving of this award,” Flint said. “It wasn’t really surprising considering the year that she had.”

Earlier this month Schelling was  named one of the top three finalists for the Patty Kazmaier Award, which is given to the top player in Division I women’s hockey. Schelling was also selected as Hockey East Player of the Year and the WHEA goaltending champion.

“We are very proud of all that she’s accomplished throughout her career at NU,” Flint said.

The players were not the only ones recognized by the New England Hockey Writers Association as Flint was named New England Division I Coach of the Year.

“I was honored when I heard that I won the award because there are so many great coaches that are very deserving,” Flint said.

He led Northeastern to 22 wins this season, the most in 10 years. Flint also coached the Huskies to their first Beanpot title since 1998.

“He has taken this program to being a program that’s on the map,” Coyne said. “People want to play us and people want to come watch us.”

The Huskies finished the season with a 22-7-4 record and the program’s first Hockey East regular season title.