Women’s hockey wins two straight

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

With injuries and under-performance plaguing the women’s hockey team this season, the coaching staff has had to shift lines and switch goaltenders, but the changes paid off for the Huskies with two straight wins against Women’s Hockey East Association opponents last week.

The team defeated the University of New Hampshire 3-1 on Thursday and followed that effort with a 6-3 comeback win on Sunday against the University of Vermont Catamounts.

“It was a great [weekend] for us,” assistant coach Linda Lundrigan said. “We really spread out the scoring and everyone contributed.”

Junior goaltender Kelsey O’Sullivan has made three consecutive starts due to sophomore goaltender Chloe Desjardins’ knee injury. The Huskies have won each of the contests O’Sullivan has started.

“[Starting] was kind of a little bit of a shock to me, but I’ve always played with the mentality to be ready,” O’Sullivan said. “I think I’ve gained a little bit of confidence as I’ve gone along and I just hope I can keep the ball rolling.”

In Sunday’s contest, O’Sullivan allowed three early Catamount goals and the Huskies were in a hole. They were also playing with only five healthy defenders, so every skater had to pick up extra ice time.

Junior forward Katie MacSorley put the Huskies on the board midway through the second period and started their six-goal run.

The next three goals came off the stick of sophomore forward Kendall Coyne, who notched her second natural hat trick of the season. The first goal was Coyne’s ninth power play goal of the season, making her second in the nation in that category.

Senior forward Kelly Wallace added to the Husky lead with a goal off her own rebound for the Huskies’ fifth goal of the game and second on a power play opportunity.

“We were real happy with the power play,” Lundrigan said. “The girls are really working well together.”

Senior forward Rachel Llanes scored the final Northeastern goal midway through the last 20 minutes. Junior forward Brittany Esposito sent a shot that bounced off the goalpost right to the stick of Llanes who put it on goal for her 10th of the season.

Throughout the comeback, O’Sullivan remained rock-solid in goal, coming up with key saves late in the game. She had 24 stops on the day as she held on and kept Northeastern in the game.

“I saw my teammates working hard and I knew the fact that they were working so hard to get a comeback that I needed to do my part to help that comeback too,” O’Sullivan said. “They kind of inspired me and motivated me to keep the pucks out of the net and help us get the win.”

O’Sullivan also had a career-day in net against the University of New Hampshire Jan. 24. She stopped 27 shots, 10 more than saves than she had previously recorded.

“For her ability to step in, be a leader and make key saves in the game it really helps us as players get momentum off her saves and create offense,” Coyne said.

The Medway native was peppered with shots all weekend, but was able to get the win in her third-straight start.

“We’ve had the opportunity to give Kelsey a chance and help her gain some confidence,” Lundrigan said. “She’s held it pretty steady.”

Following the weekend, O’Sullivan was named conference Defensive Player of the Week.

Coyne was also honored with her second consecutive Player of the Week. And the Huskies were named WHEA Team of the Week.

Lundrigan noted that he will continue to utilize all his healthy players, giving those plagued with injury plenty of time to recover.

Northeastern will travel to Boston University next weekend to take on the Terriers on Saturday in the third of four meetings between these teams this season.

“We just have to make sure we do the little things right in our own end and good things will come because we have an amazing offense,” O’Sullivan said.