Kendall Coyne hits 100

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

It took less than two full seasons for sophomore forward Kendall Coyne to reach the 100 point milestone, becoming just the 22nd Husky to do so.

Coyne’s 100th point came Sunday afternoon in Northeastern’s 7-2 victory over the University of Maine Black Bears. The Illinois native entered the contest just two points shy of the historic mark.

Coyne had two goals in the game and four points over the weekend series. She added a goal and two assists on Tuesday night against the University of Connecticut Huskies, extending her point scoring streak to 11 games.

“It was really special for it to be a 2-on-1 with [Pickett] for that to be the 100th point,” Coyne said. “She’s been with me every step of the way and every point of the way.”

Coyne is just the third player in history to reach 100 goals in less than two seasons and she has led the team in scoring the past two years.

No. 1 in Hockey East for goals scored, with 34, Coyne sits second for total points with 58.

“She’s kind of been our catalyst,” head coach Dave Flint said. “To reach 100 points before the end of your sophomore year is pretty remarkable.”

Coyne came to Northeastern with three years of team USA experience already under her belt. She participated in three World Championships prior to becoming a Husky and has continued to be a consistent member of the national team in addition to her collegiate duties.

“[Coyne] is a phenomenal player; I’ve said that since day one,” freshman forward Paige Savage said of her fellow USA and Husky teammate.

The Huskies will look for Coyne to continue her scoring tear as the regular season winds down.

As one of the top players in Hockey East, Coyne provides a serious advantage for the Northeastern roster.

“She’s such a dynamic player,” Flint said. “Every time she’s on the ice, she draws attention from all of the players on the ice, and I think that really helps open things up for her linemates.”