Women’s hockey pulls win and tie from weekend play

By Maddie Sattler, News Staff

In a busy weekend for the Northeastern women’s hockey team, the Huskies played two tough Hockey East opponents and came out with one win and one tie.

The Huskies (5-5-1, 2-2-1 Hockey East) skated to a 1-1 tie Friday night in their first matchup against the University of Maine Black Bears this season. They came back home for a Sunday afternoon game where they defeated the University of New Hampshire, 3-0.

Senior forward Katie MacSorley had a big weekend with three goals, while junior goalie Chloe Desjardins stopped 56 of the 57 shots she faced.

“[MacSorley] had a great weekend, and she’s really been flying,” coach Dave Flint said. “That’s what we need out of her; we need her to step up.”

The Black Bears got on the board first Friday evening with a goal just over 15 minutes into the opening period. From that point on, Desjardins held things down as that was the only goal she allowed all weekend.

MacSorley tied things up in the second period with a short-handed goal. The score was the fifth of the season for the Ontario native and the second coming with a man-down.

After a scoreless third period, the game carried into overtime, but neither team could get anything going and the contest ended in a tie.

“I told the team after Friday, it’s not just about effort, it’s about effort and execution,” Flint said. “I haven’t questioned their effort this year, but we just weren’t executing.”

On Sunday, the Huskies got their first look at Hockey East rival UNH in a matinee showdown at Matthew’s Arena.

The Wildcats came out firing with 13 shots on goal in the opening frame, but Desjardins shut down the UNH offense.

“I think in the first period, we were still finding our way a little bit, but I think after that we found our way,” MacSorley said. “It was a good starting point and then we got a few goals, so everyone was happy.”

It took about three minutes into the second period for MacSorley to pick back up her offensive tear. Freshman forward Hayley Scamurra sent a pass to her linemate who pushed the puck underneath Wildcat goalie Vilma Vaattovaara to put the Huskies ahead, 1-0.

Just 1:25 later, senior forward Claire Santostefano sent a shot on goal that bounced off the legs of Vaattovaara right to the stick of sophomore forward Paige Savage. Savage was able to capitalize on the rebound and give the Huskies a two-goal lead.

In the third period, the Huskies were able to go ahead 3-0 with a strong power play performance. Scamurra took a shot that was blocked by Vaattovaara, but MacSorley was in the right spot to finish the play.

“I think this year, playing with the people that I’m playing with, it gives me a lot of confidence,” MacSorley said. “We have fun out there, so while we’re having fun we’re able to score.

The score was the third power play goal for Northeastern this season, all of which have been scored by MacSorley.

“I don’t know if that’s coincidence or she’s at the right place at the right time,” Flint said.

Scamurra was also recognized by Hockey East for her strong weekend showing as Rookie of the Week. She notched two assists over the weekend and had her first collegiate multi-point performance. It was the first conference award for the native New Yorker.

The Huskies get a break with a full seven days off before they head to Boston College on Sunday for this season’s first contest against the Eagles.