Women’s hockey earns home ice against UNH

By Emily Pagliaroli, news correspondent

Northeastern University’s women’s hockey team had a weekend sweep against the University of New Hampshire (UNH). On Saturday, the two teams battled at UNH for a 5-1 Husky win. At home on Sunday, the Huskies honored the five seniors on Senior Day and came away with a 3-1 victory.

These wins, along with Maine’s loss to the University of Connecticut, helped the Huskies secure the No. 3 spot and home ice for the Hockey East quarterfinals playoff series. UNH, the sixth seed, will come to Matthews Arena for the best of three series.

Senior assistant captain Chloe Desjardins started in net for NU on Saturday and sophomore goaltender Ashley Wilkes started for UNH.

Midway through the first period, freshman defenseman Julia Fedeski was called for tripping and NU went on the power play. Freshman forward McKenna Brand started the scoring. Junior forward captain Kendall Coyne fed the puck to Brand and she was able to find the back of the net to put NU in the lead.

With less than 20 seconds left in the period, freshman forward Denisa Krizova put NU ahead 2-0. Desjardins didn’t let any goals past her in the first period to keep UNH off the board.

Krizova struck again early in the second period to bang home another goal. With an assist from Coyne, NU was up 3-0.

Desjardins and the defense were doing everything they could to keep UNH off the board, but late in the second period sophomore forward Cassandra Vilgrain snuck one past Desjardins’ glove and into the back of the net. The score was 3-1 NU going into the third period.

The Huskies came back ready to finish what they started. Early in the period, freshman defenseman Lauren Kelly gave the Huskies back the three-point lead – the third freshman to put one past Wilkes. The assist came from Coyne for her third point of the game.

To end the night, sophomore forward Hayley Masters sent one flying to senior forward Chelsiea Goll, who scored her first goal of the season. Time ran out and the Huskies left New Hampshire with a 5-1 win.

NU and UNH battled again on Sunday afternoon, honoring the seniors. Desjardins and Wilkes were once again in net and started off strong with a scoreless first period.

The Huskies came back for the second period ready to fight. Krizova centered the puck and Coyne tipped the puck into the net. Just 41 seconds later, sophomore forward Melissa Haganey snuck one past Wilkes to put NU ahead 2-0.

Midway through the third period, UNH was able to finally beat Desjardins and get on the board with 11:32 left to play in regulation.

In the final two minutes of play, UNH pulled Wilkes for the extra-man advantage on offense. Even though they put up a strong fight, Coyne got a hold of the puck and scored on the empty net. This was NU’s seventh straight win over UNH, with a final score of 3-1. This is the fourth straight year the Huskies have secured a win on Senior Day.

“I think it went really well,” Desjardins said. “I mean the girls came out really strong our senior game. Everyone was doing it for the seniors and I’m really proud of the girls.”

In preparation for the 13th annual Hockey East Tournament, Head Coach Dave Flint knows there is improvement to be made in order to make it past the quarterfinals.

“For us to be successful in the playoffs, here we have to cut the shot total down against and be better in our own end,” he said.

The Huskies face UNH on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, if a tie breaker is necessary.

Photo courtesy Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics