Women’s hockey loses 3-1 in Beanpot semifinal

ETHAN KALEY

By Emily Pagliaroli, news correspondent

The Northeastern women’s hockey team picked up a big win against University of Vermont (UVM) last Friday with a final score of 4-3. However, the team couldn’t keep up in the 2015 Beanpot semifinals against undefeated Boston College (BC) on Tuesday night in Cambridge. BC came out on top 3-1.

At UVM, senior co-captain Chloe Desjardins started in goal for NU and sophomore goaltender Madison Litchfield started for UVM.

NU started the first period strong with three goals. Freshman defenseman Lauren Kelly began the night with her fifth goal of the season early in the game. Freshman forward Taytum Clairmont passed the puck to Kelly at the point. Kelly made a clean shot and got it past Litchfield’s left shoulder. With less than five minutes to play, UVM tied the score when junior defenseman Gina Repaci passed back to senior forward Delia McNally to put the puck just above Desjardins’ right shoulder.

Minutes later, NU came back with a goal from junior forward captain Kendall Coyne. With assists from freshmen forward Denisa Krizova and defender Ainsley MacMillan, Coyne fired a shot passed Litchfield from the right circle. With less than 20 seconds left, sophomore defenseman Heather Mottau cut to the slot and ripped a shot under Litchfield’s left pad, putting NU ahead by two as the first period concluded.

Midway through the second period, UVM sophomore forward Sarah Kelly got called for tripping and NU scored on the power play. Krizova passed the puck to Coyne at the blue line. Coyne fired a shot and sophomore forward Hayley Masters tipped it into the net. With five minutes left in the second, UVM freshman defenseman Amanda Drobot snuck one past Desjardins on the power play.

At the beginning of the third, UVM junior forward Dayna Colang scored on the power play. This would be the end of UVM’s attack as NU held on to the lead to win 4-3.

NU and BC faced off in game one of the semifinals at the Bright-Landry Center on Tuesday.

Once again, Desjardins started in the goal for NU, this time against BC freshman goaltender Katie Burt. Both goalies were strong in the first period, preventing any shots from getting past.

Early in the second period, freshman forward McKenna Brand put NU on the board first. With assists from Mottau and junior defender Tori Hickel, Brand tossed the puck into the lower left corner just passed Burt. Tempers flared late in the second period as Mottau and BC freshman defenseman Megan Keller went at it. Both received penalties for roughing and were sent off the ice. BC senior captain forward Emily Field tied the game during the four-on-four to end the second period.

The third period started off strong as NU won the faceoff. The Huskies had great scoring chances early in the period when Mottau drove the puck to the net and Krizova just missed the rebound. Northeastern’s defense was assisting Desjardins any way they could to keep BC’s chances at a minimum.

Midway through the third period, BC junior forward Haley Skarupa landed the puck in the top of the net, giving BC its first lead of the game. Coyne and Mottau tried to lead their team to a comeback, but to no avail.

Late in the game, NU’s Head Coach Dave Flint called a timeout to strategize the last two minutes of play. With a minute left in regulation, Desjardins was pulled and replaced with an extra offender to try to give NU the upper hand. Husky fans seemed distressed as the clock ticked closer to zero.

BC sophomore forward Andie Anastos scored on NU’s empty net, putting BC ahead by two to end the game at 3-1.

“I was pleased with our effort,” Flint said. “Obviously [I’m] disappointed we came out on the short end of things, but I liked how my team battled.”

NU will prepare for a home game against Providence College on Friday night. The Huskies will square off with Boston University, who lost to Harvard University on Tuesday, in the consolation game of the Beanpot on Feb. 10.

Photo by Ethan Kaley

For more photos, click here.