SoWa Open Market connects local community of artists, vendors, customers

Ananya Kulkarni
Glassblowing artist Lucas Land displays how light changes the appearance of his glassware. Land vaporized pure silver onto glass in order to create the iridescent appearance of the glasses.

Every week, local vendors come together at Boston’s SoWa Open Market to sell clothing, jewelry, art, food and more. 

The market takes place every Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. It is located at 500 Harrison Ave. and takes place outside close to businesses, artist studios, galleries and retail shops.

Many of these businesses use the open market as an opportunity to advertise a sampling of the production selection they carry at their brick and mortar locations. Others sell their products exclusively at open markets such as SoWa’s.

SoWa’s open market is typically bustling with activity on sunny Sunday afternoons. Families, students and local residents spend the day shopping at a plethora of stalls as well as buying food from vendors and food trucks located on the premises. The market also contains a seating area for customers who stop for a snack or a meal while at the market. 

Many of the market’s vendors have set out to advertise handmade products including hot sauces, jewelry, herbal extracts, clothing, ceramics and artwork such as prints and stickers.

The market also provides an opportunity for smaller vendors to interact with each other. Vendors working in similar areas get to know each other through their regular attendance at the market and often recommend each other’s stalls to customers.

Vendors dedicate a significant amount of time to customer interactions, often helping customers individually and discussing the right products for them while building relationships with the local community. Many vendors get to know each customer and share emails and phone numbers for buyers to visit them at in-person storefronts or provide feedback on their purchases. 

SoWa Open Market will run through Oct. 29, concluding the fall season. SoWa also hosts a seasonal Winter Festival for the holiday season which typically begins at the end of November.

Ananya Kulkarni
Ananya Kulkarni, Managing Editor
Ananya Kulkarni is a third-year political science and journalism major and is also pursuing a minor in graphic design. She is a managing editor of The News and has previously served as beat writer for the men’s and women’s rowing teams. Follow her on Instagram (@ananya_kulkarni_media) for updates!