Love Illumination pays homage to love, legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Darin Zullo
Ruby Grove performs one of their original songs. Nilles and Lamour founded the band in 2022.

Sounds of funk, soul, R&B and indie rock filled The Square Root in Roslindale Sunday night for Love Illumination, an evening of music dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr. and the justice he advocated for.

Musical acts included James Burke, a synth-pop and electronica artist; Ruby Grove, an indie-alternative band with trip-hop and neo-soul influences; and Indescribable Pleasure, a soul and funk supergroup.

The event’s name comes from one of King’s most famous quotes: “Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.” Between sets, excerpts of King’s speeches were read aloud and played over the speakers. Melissa Lee Nilles, the lead vocalist and keyboardist of Ruby Grove, led the audience through brief reflections on his speeches, tying King’s activism and the music together. Nilles also briefly discussed King’s friendship with Thích Nhất Hạnh, a Vietnamese monk, peace activist and poet who famously protested the Vietnam War, and how King nominated Hạnh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967.

Throughout the night, moments of pause were taken to acknowledge both the paths that King forged for the Civil Rights Movement and how much progress still has yet to be made. At one point, Nilles and Cedric Lamour, the bassist, guitarist and backing vocalist of Ruby Grove, embraced after a song. The two called out how their expression of love for each other would not have been considered socially acceptable in 1950. Additionally, Juliet Olivier, the lead vocalist of Indescribable Pleasure, expressed support for Palestinians and the transgender community.

The bands also performed covers as tributes to African American artists, including “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley and “Talkin’ Bout a Revolution” by Tracy Chapman. These covers not only showcased some of Ruby Grove and Indescribable Pleasure’s direct influences, but also called attention to the purpose behind the music. This purpose carried throughout the night, reminding everyone to honor King’s legacy, not just on the day dedicated to him, but every day, by letting love and justice prevail.

Darin Zullo
Darin Zullo, Deputy Lifestyle Editor
Darin Zullo is a second-year journalism and English combined major with a minor in photojournalism. This is his second semester as a deputy photo editor for The News. He has also written for the Global Observer and the Scope and is looking forward to continue working with The News this semester.