Ice skating pirates enthrall audience at 401 Park ice rink

Margot Murphy
Liv Duckworth, dressed as a siren, skates to “MILK OF THE SIREN” by Melanie Martinez, creating a haunting and mysterious character performance. Each participating skater had the creative freedom to choreograph and pick their own characters and songs.

Swashbuckling pirates, enchanting mermaids and adventurous ice skating routines —  featuring famed Olympics silver medalist Nancy Kerrigan —  entertained Bostononians Jan. 14 during the Pirates of the Fenway Skating Show. Visitors enjoyed the free show at The Rink at 401 Park, which Joy Skate Productions sponsored. 

Along with Kerrigan, the show included elite competing ice skaters and professional performers from well-known shows and organizations such as Disney on Ice, Brownbody and “Dancing on Ice.” Each of the skaters choreographed and prepared a song for the spectacle, practicing for weeks in advance with some flying in from different states. 

“[Pirates of the Fenway performers] have been coming in where I practice, and I see them with their props and costumes and it’s so much fun,” Kerrigan said. “It’s nice to have that support and excitement to see people get excited to go do something I love.”

Pirates of the Fenway consisted of over 10 engaging routines, each with a different character and song. A few highlighted performances were by Ryan Dunk, a former competitive figure skater who performed to “California Gurls” by Katy Perry, and Chelsea Ridley, a past Disney on Ice professional skater known as the “Hip Hop Ice Queen,” who skated to a remixed version of “Baby Shark.” 

“I choreographed the routine, because I’m the Hip Hop Ice Queen, and normally I try to bring the hip-hop style and culture onto the ice,” Ridley said. “I think I was able to do that, and I hope the people that came out enjoyed it.”

Kerrigan was the final act of the show and performed to “The Skye Boat Song” by Bear McCreary, showcasing her expertise and everlasting joy for the sport. 

“Anytime you can get into a character it’s just a little more fun,” Kerrigan said.  

Throughout the show, the audience danced, laughed and cheered for each performance, finding solace in the skill of the skaters despite the harsh winds and flurries of snow. 

“We don’t stop to announce anybody during the show because we like to keep it rolling and keep the audience engaged,” said Elin Schran, the founder of Joy Skate Productions. “It was so thrilling to find out that people were brave and hearty New Englanders and give us the energy we need to do this performance.”

After the final bows, attendees who had previously booked skating time at the rink had the chance to skate with the performers and Kerrigan. Many performers got to greet friends and family, with compliments being shared amongst them.   

“I think after the pandemic when we were so isolated, I just am never going to take for granted again what it means to be connected and to share time and experiences with other people,” Schran said.

Margot Murphy, Deputy Photo Editor