Event Calendar: May 22 – 28

Thursday, May 22

Paying homage to the greatest music to come from across the pond, A Tribute to The Beatles will take the stage at the Beat Hotel. Featuring The Funky ABs, the sounds of McCartney, Starr, Lennon and Harrison will be brought back to life for one night only. The band will be joined by special guests Bruce Ferrara, electric jazz guitarist, and Rachel Quinones, leader of Amethyst band. While taking in the sound that defined the 60s, guests can enjoy selections from a full menu including a crispy tuna spring roll and swordfish tacos, as well as a full bar. Reservations are recommended, and with no cover charge this event is sure to fill up fast. 13 Brattle St., Cambridge; 9:30 p.m. – 1 a.m.; free.

Friday, May 23 – Sunday, May 25

Twice a year, some of the biggest names in music come together for the Boston Calling Music Festival, treating locals to a party of their very own. Running all weekend, this year’s headliners include Jack Johnson and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros on Friday, Death Cab for Cutie and The Decemberists on Saturday and Modest Mouse and Brand New on Sunday. Tickets are still available for Friday, VIP tickets are up for grabs for Saturday and Sunday and a VIP weekend pass can still be purchased online. City Hall Plaza; 6 p.m.; $50-350.

Saturday, May 24

Nerd Culture has developed from what got kids beat up on playgroundsto a cool and interesting phenomenon. From reboots of the popular Avengers stories, to self-proclaimed “nerd” celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, it is no longer lame to love comic books and supervillains. Coming to the Shriners Auditorium this weekend is the ultimate haven for uber-fans: Boston’s Pop Culture Expo. From celebrated sci-fi guests to Cosplay contests and gaming vendors, this two-day event is giving “come as you are” a whole new meaning. Special guests includethe original drummer of The Beatles, Pete Best, Kristian Nairn and Esme Bianco from “Game of Thrones,” and Sam Huntington from “Being Human,” “Veronica Mars,” and “Superman Returns.”  Shriners Auditorium; 99 Fordham Rd., Wilmington; all day; $15-25.

Sunday, May 25 ­

Howl at the Moon, a popular dueling piano bar in the financial district, is celebrating Memorial Day early with a summer kick-off party sure to get your blood pumping. While “piano bar” may not sound like the most happening party spot, classical music is not the usual sound at Howl at the Moon, a popular bachelorette party go-to. Attendees can celebrate the start of summer with $20 86-ounce Rum Runner buckets and other Memorial Day drink specials. 184 High St.; 6 p.m.; free; 21+.

Monday, May 26

Memorial Day in Boston means parades, ceremonies and speeches to honor those who gave their lives in the service of their country and to celebrate the freedoms allowed by our troops. The largest parade in greater Boston begins with a cannon salute on the Cambridge Common, followed by amarch through Harvard Square and ends at Cambridge Cemetery on Coolidge Avenue. Until May 28, 20,000 flags can be seen in front of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument to honor local service members in Boston Common, and the Honor the Brave: Fallen Heroes Tour will leave on the hour all day with Cambridge Historical Tours. 25 Mt. Auburn St.; 10 a.m.; free.

Tuesday, May 27

In the age of DIY, handmade crafts and Etsy-worthy products have a certain charm, even in the big city. Made by Hand will exhibit over 60 examples of homemade furniture, instruments, jewelry, hand-bound books, home décor and more from the students and alumni of the North Bennet St. School. The institution is one of the oldest schools for craft training in the United States, and many of the pieces made by these classically trained craftsmen will be available for sale. Alumni from as far back as 1969 will join students who have yet to graduate at the exhibition, combining classic and modern tastes and techniques.  2 International Place; 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.; free.

Wednesday, May 28

Step into the shoes of Duchess Kate Middleton, the picture perfect embodiment of modern royalty, and spend part of your day at the Fairmont Battery Wharf for afternoon tea. Chef Arwi Odense has developed an afternoon tea menu that stays mostly true to the British tradition, but puts a contemporary spin on the sweet and savory occasion. Tea sandwiches, including Harbor Point smoked salmon and organic egg salad, trifles with honey from the hotel’s own hives and lemon tarts, are all featured at the Battery Lounge Traditional Tea, and for $10 more your menu can include lobster crostini and a glass of champagne. In addition to traditional teas, the event offers tea-infused cocktails and sparkling wines, available from $8. 3 Battery Wharf; 2 – 4:30 p.m.; $39-49.

Photo courtesy Nathan Forget, Creative Commons.