Event Calendar: Feb. 16 – 22

Event Calendar: Feb. 16 - 22

By Sophie Cannon, deputy A&E editor

Thursday, Feb. 16

Come on and vogue! Let your body move to Madonna’s music at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Thursday. As part of their ongoing series “Third Thursdays,” in which the museum chooses a theme for discussion, art and music, this week’s theme is called “Madonna/Madonna.” If we’ve learned anything from Madonna’s music or her activism, it’s that female empowerment is not only important, but it can be fun, too. To embrace both feminism and music, DJ DayGlow will be spinning femme-inspired music, including selections from the one and only Madonna herself. Aside from music and drinks in the garden, there will be programing by some Boston area artists. Black Venus, a performance artist, will be leading a group discussion on “The Annunciation,” the latest exhibit at the Gardner Museum. Award-winning actress Obehi Janice will also be hosting an event, reading an excerpt from her yet-to-be-published work, “Selah”. 5:30 p.m.; 25 Evans Way, Boston; $5 with valid college ID.

Friday, Feb. 17

Did you know that The Huntington News is not the only student-run publication on campus? Come support Artistry Magazine in their first ever art exhibit. Roam through Curry Student Center like never before, as it will be transformed into a professional art gallery curated by the editors of Artistry Magazine. Art in every medium will be on display, all made by your fellow students. Aside from the stunning artwork, there will be opportunities to win big. There will be chances to win smaller prizes as well as free tickets to the New England Aquarium. If all of that didn’t grab your attention, the free food will, as no art gallery is complete without tasty hors d’oeuvres. 6 – 9 p.m.; Curry Student Center; free.  

Saturday, Feb. 18

Missed the Underwear Run back in October? Here is your chance to do it again, and this time for a good cause. Participants (must be 21+) in Cupid’s Undie Run 2017 are running and partying for the Children’s Tumor Foundation this year. Last year they raised more than $3.5 million and are looking to shatter that record. Run about one mile in your finest Valentine’s Day themed undies and then celebrate with a four-hour party. After registering online, fundraise to win clothing to wear on the day of. Participants who raise $100 get official 2017 Cupid’s Undie Run Bombas socks and MeUndies: A full outfit for the run. After the running is over, an open bar will serve drinks and a live DJ will entertain the crowd. 12 – 4 p.m.; House of Blues Boston,; $35 and up.

Sunday, Feb. 19

In the words of the great Bill Nye, “Science rules!” Join in on the Rally to Stand Up for Science in Copley Square. This Sunday is perfect timing, as the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is hosting its annual conference. Thousands of scientists, students and eco-conscious individuals will be taking to the streets to publicly support the scientific community. This event is being co-hosted by a plethora of organizations, including Greenpeace USA, 500 Women Scientists, The Natural History Museum and many more national and local groups. The march aims to raise awareness about the importance of scientists, the acknowledgment of climate change and protecting scientific discoveries from government censorship. 12 – 1:30 p.m.; 560 Boylston St., Boston; free.

Monday, Feb. 20

Milk and cereal, cereal and milk. Enjoy the best breakfast at the cutest cafe in Boston this President’s Day weekend. Trident Booksellers and Cafe will be hosting an all-you-can-eat cereal buffet at the bar with all your favorite boxed breakfast treats. For those kids at heart who are also 21 and over, enjoy a mimosa with your cereal ticket for an extra $5. Cereal lovers of all ages are welcome to come and sip on OJ and milk for the standard $10 ticket price. All attendees are encouraged to wear their comfiest pajamas and turn Trident into their own kitchen table. Morning cartoons will be playing during the entire event, but make sure to buy your ticket in advance if you plan on sleeping in. 8 – 11 a.m.; 338 Newbury St., Boston; $10 or $15.

Tuesday, Feb. 21

When is the last time you got to go to the movies guilt free? Skip the expensive ticket prices of normal theatres and attend a free movie night with Marketplace Movie Nights. Faneuil Hall and Quincy Marketplace will transform into a movie theatre this week. On Tuesday night, watch an all-time favorite flick: “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” The movie itself is free, but what’s a movie without popcorn and soda? Enjoy discounted snacks of all kinds and full dinner options to round out this fun and affordable night. Come out earlier in the day to enjoy the popular area and shop around, but make sure to be back at Quincy Marketplace at 6:30 p.m. sharp when the show begins to ensure good seats, as spots will fill up fast.  6:30 – 8 p.m.; 4 South Market Building, Boston; free.

Wednesday, Feb. 22

If laughter makes you live longer, then this show is the key to immortality. Come to “Laugh While You Can Showcase” and listen to an amazing line-up of Boston comedians, all cracking jokes for a good cause. The show itself is free, but the suggested $10 donation goes to a different charity every show. This Wednesday, around 80 percent of all donations will benefit Ceres. Ceres is a non-profit organization working towards the expansion of sustainable business practices for all companies, big and small. Hosted by Limelight Stage + Studios, the line-up includes hysterical comedians such as Casey Crawford, Zachary Brazão and Kwasi Mensah, and is being emceed by Ian Barton. Doors 7:30 p.m., show 8 – 10 p.m.; 204 Tremont St., Boston; free, suggested donation $10.

Photo courtesy Creative Commons