Event Calendar: Spring Break

By Sophie Cannon, deputy A&E editor

Friday, Mar. 3

Can’t afford a trip to the Greek isles this spring break? Transport your tastebuds instead with a meal from VERTS. Help the Mediterranean restaurant celebrate their grand opening in Back Bay with a free, full-sized entree. VERTS’ menu has options for meat eaters and vegetarians alike, cooking up fresh falafel, shwarma, grilled veggies, pita and housemade sauces. Come hungry and come early because the first 100 people in line will receive a gift bag stuffed with goodies from the company. In addition to the free food, proceeds from any additional purchases will be donated to 261 Fearless, a local nonprofit focused on women’s empowerment. 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.; 545 Boylston St., Boston; free.

Saturday, Mar. 4

Want to become #InstaFamous? Whether you like being behind the camera or in front of the shutter, come out to #BostonPortraitMeet. Portrait Meets have popped up all over Boston, inviting photographers and models alike to come out and help each other take the best shots possible and mingle with likeminded artists. The event is hosted by Can Ahtam, the photographer who runs the Instagram account @portraitmeet.  Follow him on Instagram for more information, but the meeting place will be at the Victory Gardens in the Back Bay Fens area. Come on out and have a professional give you your next instagram selfie. 1 – 4 p.m.; 1200 Boylston St, Boston (see Instagram for changes); free.

Tuesday, Mar. 7

See Sundance in Somerville this spring break with the 11th annual Rough Cut Media Screening. This event celebrates progress and feedback as local videos and movies are shown to the public. Audience members are encouraged to give feedback to the creators of the films so that the creative process in movie making can grow increasingly stronger. All videos and movies are under five minutes long, so the audience will get to enjoy a wide variety of topics and styles of film. Used as a test run for other film festivals, Rough Cut Media Screening is open to all levels of filmmakers and takes submissions on their Facebook event page. There will also be a cash bar. 7 – 9 p.m.; 191 Highland Ave., Somerville; free.

Wednesday, Mar. 8

Activism meets art this week at the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA). As part of their City Talks series, “Artivism” is a new discussion-based panel open to anyone interested in the marriage between color and shapes with picketing and protests. The panel welcomes Boston-area thinkers, activists, entrepreneurs, city officials and artists to participate in and lead discussions. The main panelists will be Summer L. Williams of Company One Theatre, Lori Lobenstine of Design Studio for Social Intervention and Stella Aguirre McGregor of the Urbano Project. The event will be moderated by Ilana M. Brownstein of Company One Theatre and New Wok. 7 – 8:30 p.m.; 465 Huntington Ave., Boston; free with valid student ID.
Thursday, Mar. 9

Pikachu, I choose you…and an ice cold beer. Come catch them all on a PokĂ©mon-themed bar crawl around Faneuil Hall and the surrounding area. PokĂ©Crawl is a nonprofit bar crawl that combines drinking and philanthropy. Donations and money from auctions and prizes throughout the night will be donated to Child’s Play, a charity that gives toys and games to children in hospitals around the world. Once you register yourself and a plus-one, check into Faneuil Hall and receive your team button and itinerary of bars. Every hour your team will go to another bar and challenge other groups to drinking matches, PokĂ©mon trivia or just mingle and bond over the beloved game. There is a suggested donation of $2, but bring cash for auctions and other surprises. This event is 21+ due to the presence of alcohol. 7:15 p.m. – 12 a.m.; 4 South Market Building, Boston; free.

Saturday, Mar. 11

The MFA isn’t just for paintings and sculpture anymore. Come listen to the live music of Tanya Tagaq as part of the MFA Music series. Tagaq is an Arctic-born, avant-garde musician who combines music with performance art. In this presentation, she will perform a musical interpretation of the 1922 silent film, “Nanook of the North.” Bringing sound to the once silent piece of art, Tagaq wishes to explore the ideas of environmentalism and human rights in conjunction with the story of the Inuit people, clearing up misconceptions and stereotypes along the way. Enjoy a brand new performance that is different every time and explore a culture that few know about. 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.; 465 Huntington Ave., Boston; ticket prices vary.

Monday, Mar. 13

An idea turned book turned lifestyle, come to the Start-Up Nation: Panel + Pitch to learn about the fast-paced innovation happening overseas in Israel. In a country the size of New Jersey, the most innovative populations of entrepreneurs and business people are thriving and want to tell you how to get involved. Join the NU Entrepreneurs Club, NU Business Club and other groups to discuss new ideas in the world of tech start-ups. Sit in on a panel discussion led by students and faculty with a focus on Israeli innovation and tech. Afterward, participate in a “Minute to Pitch It” competition where you can show off your own business ideas with the chance to win $1,000. 5:30 – 9 p.m.; Curry Student Center Ballroom; free.

photo courtesy Creative Commons