Event Calendar: March 16 – 22

By Sophie Cannon, deputy A&E editor

Thursday, Mar. 16

Pepperoni and prose? How about sausage and a sonnet? Come to Poems and Pizzas sponsored by CityPOP Egleston, a group based out of Jamaica Plain that aims to engage the community through art and education. The event is a workshop for new writers and those simply looking to brush up on their iambic pentameter. They invite writers, poets, lyricists and spoken word artists to explore how words can make a difference. The event will end with an open mic where participants can share what they’ve written during the workshop or show off some of their older repertoire. There will also be live music mixed by DJ Jesse Bland. 6:30 – 9 p.m.; 3195 Washington St., Jamaica Plain; $3.

Friday, Mar. 17

While there may not be leprechauns or pots of gold, Bostonians are in luck this St. Patrick’s Day because Faneuil Hall is back again with the legendary Irish Day Concerts. See the marketplace transformed into a green and gold wonderland at the entrance to Faneuil Hall Harbor Side. The all-day lineup has entertainment for all ages, so be sure to time your trip accordingly. The day starts at 10 a.m. with a performance by Devri Band, an Irish band from Boston. Every 90 minutes after, there will be an Irish step dance performence by the Heavy Quinn Academy of Irish Dance. The lineup of bands continues throughout the night with music from Boxty, Joshua Tree, Jinty Mcgrath and more. 10 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.; 4 South Market Building, Boston; free.

Saturday, Mar. 18

Want to support another Northeastern publication in addition to The Huntington News? After months of secrecy, Tastemakers has announced the lineup: “Cymbals Eat Guitars” and “Sunflower Bean.” “Cymbals Eat Guitars” is an indie rock band out of Staten Island, New York, and is touring the United States until June, when they will be traveling overseas to Spain. “Sunflower Bean” is another New York band, playing American rock music with a Brooklyn influence. Both bands will be performing in Afterhours for free with your NUID. This is an NU +1 event, so make sure to invite your friends. Doors at 6:30 p.m., show at 7 p.m.; Afterhours; free.

Sunday, Mar. 19

Ever think doing downward facing dog pose would actually help support doggos in need? Join the MSPCA Boston Adoption Center in their yoga event, “Poses for Pit Bulls.” For a $20 donation to the adoption center, you can participate in an hour long all-levels yoga class. Along with yoga instruction, the class also includes a history lesson on the principles of Ayurveda, an Indian wellness science and way of life. Both the yoga and the history will be taught by Rob Halpin, a yoga instructor and Ayurvedic health counselor-in-training. Support the pups and perfect your poses all in one intense hour of yoga fun. 9 – 10:30 a.m.; 350 S. Huntington Ave., Jamaica Plain; $20.

Monday, Mar. 20

Jumping off the BET channel and into Northeastern’s own Afterhours stage, Lip Sync Battle is here with a new philanthropic twist. Join the sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Alpha Epsilon Phi in their hysterical and musical event, Lip Sync for Life. For just $5 per participant, groups of six can compete with a repertoire of three one-minute song clips for the title of 2017 Lip Sync for Life Champions. The $5 donations will be donated to two charities: Sharsheret and Christopher’s Haven. Sharsheret benefits young Jewish women suffering from breast cancer and Christopher’s Haven helps to house and support children undergoing cancer treatment at Mass General Hospital. 7:30 – 9 p.m.; AfterHours; $3.

Tuesday, Mar. 21

Get a preview of the posies and a drink among the daffodils at the Boston Flower and Garden Show Preview Party 2017. Come see the amazing flowers and brand new exhibits before the flower show opens its doors to the general public. Enjoy dinner stations, drinks at the bar and live music brought to you by Mix 104.1 radio station. Last year, stars like the Plain White T’s and Matt Nathanson stopped by, so be sure to get your tickets to see this year’s surprise guests. All ticket sales benefit the Genesis Foundation for Children, a nonprofit that enriches the lives of children with genetic disorders. This is a 21+ event, as alcohol will be served. 6:30 – 10 p.m.; 200 Seaport Boulevard, Boston, ticket prices vary. 6:30 – 10 p.m.; 200 Seaport Blvd., Boston, ticket prices vary.

Wednesday, Mar. 22

Did you know that Boston was once the booming candy town of Willy Wonka’s dreams? Learn the history of Boston’s sweet and sticky past at “Mill Talk: The Story of Marshmallow Fluff.” This informative talk explains how the small-town family-run business that started the white fluffy treat expanded and grew itself into the Fluff we know and love today. Mimi Graney will be hosting the talk, as she is the author of the new novel, “Fluff: The Sticky-Sweet Story of an American Icon.” Listen to her story and possibly enjoy some of the Fluff for yourself on the banks of the Charles River in the Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation. 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.; 154 Moody Street, Waltham; free.

Photo courtesy Creative Commons